Saturday, May 7, 2011

Life Really Is A Bowl Of Oatmeal

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day who was saying that oatmeal was disgusting, bland, had icky texture, and so forth.  It definitely was not something this person enjoyed.  I tried to explain that it was all in how you jazzed it up.  That got me thinking this morning as I was making my breakfast.  Thanks to Forrest Gump's momma, we learned that life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.  That may be true, but I also realized that life really was a big 'ol bowl of oatmeal.


Each day when you wake up, we're that plain bowl of oatmeal.  How we choose to dress it up is what makes it what we want it to be.  Some days, we want it to be relaxing, comforting, and uncomplicated so you just add hot water or milk, stir, and let it sit a minute before eating.


Some days we may want it to be energizing, fulfilling, and healthy so we can live an active life, then we'll mix in fruit, such as sliced bananas or some blueberries, and maybe even spice it up a bit with a zing or two of cinnamon or nutmeg.


Yet, other days you want it like your family and friends, sweet, sometimes complicated, and a little bit nutty so you'll throw that oatmeal in a mixing bowl with some sugar, butter, chopped nuts, and other important ingredients and come out with a super tantalizing and delicious treat.  I'll admit, I do indulge in the sweetness of life a little bit too much these days for my hips' liking; but it does make my soul smile!!!


Of course, on my wild and crazy days, I just throw that simple oatmeal into my huge, super-powered Vitamix; rev it up to high; and make an amazing smoothie with some of my favorite things.  Nothing is better than that, especially when I can share it with others that I love!


See, oatmeal doesn't have to be boring, and neither does life.  Mix it up and experiment.  Let your heart, mood, cravings, and desires take you to where you need and want to go.  Only you will know what works best for you!!!

Wishing you peace, love, and happiness,
Krissy

No comments: